Monday, May 23, 2011

What Is Skype | What Are The Copyright Laws For Painting That Uses Source Material Via Skype Without Permission?

I live in Canada, so does this affect the copyright law as opposed to U.S. law?My main question is about the infringement of privact rights? Where does public domain come into play when using webcams?My question is based on the copyright laws of the painting that uses image from skype as a source. I am not using the images taken on skype for commercial use, but possibly the paintings.I do not have permission from my subjects because surveillance is key to the work of art.

Virtually all major countries have agreed to and signed the International Copyright Law. So the same laws that apply to Canada also apply to the United States, England, Spain, Brazil, etc.Instead of using someone else's images what not simply try to come up with your own original images? Why copy anyone?If the image is compelling enough then use the same image, but alter it to make it your version and do so obviously. Don't copy or cut and paste.Example: Two years ago I did a large multi-paneled painting with images right out of American history during the 1950s and 60s. Most of what I used was based on famous photographs from that period. But what I did was paint my own version of the same photograph images. When I painted in JFK or Einstein, etc. I re-did the image to make it my own original version of the same scene or setting. So, there was no copying or copyright infringement.As to public domain, photograph images of public figures, from celebrities to politicians, of public places, from buildings to landscape, of publically witnessed events, all fall under public domain. meaning you can paint your own version of a public figure or event without worrying about copyright laws.But all original works of art, whether your own or someone else's, is automatically copyrighted upon completion of the work. Which means you can't copy someone else's work without their permission. However, as I've already mentioned, you can do your own version of an image.EDIT: From your e-mail: If you are basing the art on photographs you took, whether in person or on the Internet, then you have and own the full rights to the images. Original photographs fall under the same copyright laws as original paintings, drawings, etc. You do not need permission to use images you have taken as long as they were taken within the realms of public domain (public access).

Powered by Yahoo Answers

No comments: